on Resilience and Sustainable Tourism Communities
1. Resilience - by Carl Folke (2016) in the Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Environmental Science - This recent review paper provides historical and recent thinking about resilience and can be viewed online or downloaded as a 60-page pdf file (click here).
2. Scale, change and resilience in community tourism planning - Alan A. Lew - This paper outlines my approach to resilience, sustainability and community tourism, which is what this Collaborative is all about.
3. Applying the Resilience Perspective to Planning: Critical Thoughts from Theory and Practice - Edited by Simin Davoudi and Libby Porter (PDF of this collection of papers) - See, especially S. Douvidi's paper titled: "Resilience: A Bridging Concept or a Dead End?" for an introduction to Evolutionary Resilience.
4. Community Sustainability and Resilience: Similarities, Differences and Indicators - by Alan A. Lew, Pin T. Ng, Chin-cheng (Nickel) Ni, and Tsung-chiung (Emily) Wu - commentary in Tourism Geographies 18(1):18-27 (February 2016) - How to avoid getting resilience and sustainability mixed up. (pre-publication version)
5. A New Metric for Community Resilience - by Edward Jepson (2016) - published on the Planetizen website, provides an urban planners view on resilience.
6. The traditional economy as the source of resilience in Melanesia - Ralph Regenvanu, Member of Parliament, Vanuatu, Director, Vanuatu National Cultural Council
7. What Makes a City Resilient? - Brad Watson, in The Guardian newspaper - See also the first comment to this paper, which represents a major criticism of the resilience approach.
MEDIA (Videos, Audio and other)
1. The Quest for Human Resilience - (youtube video, 21min) - an anthropological/human evolutionary approach to understanding the contemporary challenge of societal resilience - by Sander van der Leeuw, Dean, School of Sustainability, Arizona State University